Re: removing smoker tar

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

fox,

The liquid cleaner called Fantastic, available at most big grocery stores, is
highly effective when followed by a thorough clear water rinse in removing
smoke film residue from electronics and circuit boards.  It would work great on
the magnetron, but would not be good for the transformer as you would get it
inside and unfortunately any that you do not completely wash away remains and
is both corrosive and slightly conductive.  As a sensitive non-smoker myself, I
wouldn't even bother.  I'd go find smoke free salvage.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
AREA31 Research Facility
AREA31 Radio Observatory