removing smoker tar

Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

hi all,
ive just aquired an old microwave from a junk pile. i took it back to my
dorm and upon dismantling it was obvious this
had been in a heavy smokers home and most of the insides were covered with
smoke tar, also smelling pretty bad. i took the transformer and the
magnatron giving the other guys in my dorm the circuits because they
are EE majors . anyway, id like to know if there is a good way to rid
my transformer and magnatron of yucky tar.

maybe leaving it in a bucket of soapy water and letting it dry afterwards?
i really cant stand getting this tar crap on my hands and the smell is
horrible for us guys who dont smoke.

-fox