Re: Smooth toroids vs. rough, was ,A Little more than general questions V

In a message dated 4/25/01 1:51:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  When producing a toroid, how important is it to avoid sharp points
>  in the surface?  Are points on the inner areas less of a concern
>  than points on the outer area?
>
>  DK

DK,

yes,  it's most important for the outer area to be smooth.  Minor
bumps are not too bad.  For instance dryer duct toeroids with their
corregations are not bad.  However, a larger toroid is usually needed
when it's not smooth.  A spun smooth toroid can be smaller for a
given TC and spark length.   For instance, my TT-42 tc uses a
13" spun toroid, but when i used a corregated toroid, i had to
use a 17 to 20" toroid to get the same spark output.

John Freau