Re: Explain 3 Phase

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Original poster: "Matt Skidmore" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>
>
> Could someone please explain 3 phase power to me and the hooks up
> configurations that go with that? i've heard of it here on the ttesla list
> and also been looking at some substations that has labels on them
> indicating 3 phase power. looking over some of the pictures of coilers
> using pigs i have seen 3 hookups on the low voltage side of the pig. i was
> wondering how these are hooked up. is the middle post ground?

The best references IMO are power distribution books published
in the 40's 50's and 60's.  In liew of that, here's a few good
introductory web pages:

http://www.howstuffworks-dot-com/power.htm
http://www.howstuffworks-dot-com/power4.htm
http://www.howstuffworks-dot-com/power5.htm

Beyond 3-phase, there's also 6 and 12-phase configurations for
use in multi-megawatt DC industrial applications.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org