Re: Vacumm Pups Source

Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

> I've considered playing with water aspirators at times, but have always
> figured the vapor pressure of the water in the pumping line would be
> unacceptable for such purposes as you describe.

Just want to pop in here... with a cheap aspirator you can reach about 50
Torr with a household water faucet, and maybe can do better with higher
water pressure and a better constructed aspirator. I've successfully used
aspirators to pump down experimental plasma globes, no probs with water
vapour getting into the globe through the line, so there should be no
problems using one to "low-pressurize" a home made capacitor.
An alternative could be refrigerator pumps. They're slow (but cheap ;o)
and I've heared you can go well below 10 Torr.

cheers,
Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla