Re: Are Monster Toploads Really Needed?

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

Bart,

Yes, I'd have to agree - I went from 3' discharges with a 16" dia "toriod" (a
garden soil sieve) to 6' with a 6" by 36" ducting 'roid. The sparks were also
very, very much more bright and forceful! I think the quenching may be
suboptimal, perhaps, with a large toroid (bigger ringup voltage and thus a
later quench with a given spark gap). I was operating with a vacuum gap
"sucked" by a 900W v/cleaner motor. Very clean gap, no power arcing, no heat
on the pipe segments. If I ran with the fan off, output was dire within a
couple of seconds!

Alex