Re: magnets for gap quenching?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Jason, all.   I too have used, and still use a magnetic quench.  It
seems to work quite well.  It is used experimentaly with a single spark
gap.   Al.

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:02:03 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Yes! Magnets can be used to quench SG's. This same method is used in
> industrial high current relays to quench the arcing across contacts
> during
> operation is DC circuits. The magnetic field, generated by a coil in
> series
> with the high current circuit, is set at right angles to the
> direction of
> the arc across the relay (or SG) contacts. This effectively 'blows'
> the
> ionised air off the contacts as soon as it forms, leaving you with a
> very
> shot burn time of the arc in your SG - perfect! I have yet to see
> however a
> magnetic quenching system that works better than an RSG though!!!
>     Keep in mind that there are no 'magnets' as such for magnetic
> quenching - it is more of a solenoid. I tried it once and first time
> melted the solenoid and nearly blew my NST. I tried it again with
> some
> thicker wire (awg22 I think) and it worked, but RSG's still work
> better. If
> anyone manages to get an magnetic system working though, email me
> cos i want
> to ditch those old cpu fans...
>
> Jason

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!