Explain 3 Phase

Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

Hi all,
Could someone please explain 3 phase power to me and the hooks up
configurations that go with that? i've heard of it here on the ttesla list
and also been looking at some substations that has labels on them
indicating 3 phase power. looking over some of the pictures of coilers
using pigs i have seen 3 hookups on the low voltage side of the pig. i was
wondering how these are hooked up. is the middle post ground?

also, 240 runs into the home, how do we derive only 120 from that? ive
noticed that the 240 outlet is 4 pronged. i think i once came accross a
post that described how to get 240 using 2 120 outlets. could i get an
explination on how to do that?

lastly, when a person gets 3 phase power to their house, doesnt most
equipment run on single phase? im just not fully clear on it. is there a
second phase also? thanks

	somewhat confused and amazed,
		fox