Re: My New Web Site, Coil#1

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Brian,

Congratulations on first light! You are correct - you should be able to
extract significantly better performance from the system prior to migrating
to a RSG. Here are some things to try:

Try reducing the number of 15/60 NST's you have in parallel from 3 down to
2 to better match the tank capacitor. This can be especially important if
you have a poorly quenching gap.

Also, try increasing the size of your toroid - both the major (large)
diameter and minor diameter. The outer diameter of your toroid should be at
least 2-3X the diameter of the coil form, and the minor diameter will
govern the breakout voltage. A toroid with a small minor diameter will
cause premature breakout, resulting in many shorter streamers being formed
instead of fewer longer ones.

Have you confirmed that you are at the best tuning point? If so, then you
may want to try raising or lowering the secondary relative to the primary
to adjust for best coupling. Do so in 1/2" increments or less. If you get
racing sparks up and down your secondary, you'll need to raise it a bit.
Performance of a coil is often a balancing act between coupling, type of
spark gap, and toroid size/streamer loading - experimenting is usually the
best way to arrive at optimum performance.

Good luck and safe coiling to you!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman