Re: Spark-gap sparks vs. solid-state sparks

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Ken,
        Energy delivery time I would say is a paramount
consideration. How does a cap containing, say 10J delivered in full
to the secondary in, say 10uS compare with the time taken to deliver
10J from a supply whose continuous output is, say 1kW? Does this go
any way to bypassing the dVsec/dt explanation you give below? Another
relevant consideration is the repetitive "letting go" of the
secondary when considering sparklength. Perhaps the answer lies in a
single shot comparison (secondary discharge) for both situations and
doing a length measurement for each.

Regards,
malcolm