Re: HELP!!! PRIMARY

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Will, John C.,

I just checked your coil with John C's program JHCTES v3.2 and using Johns
style of inputs:

Primary:
Average radius: 4.36
Coil Height: 0
Width of Turns: 3.73
It tuned in at 15.2 turns

Also, I've changed JavaTC to input edge to edge spacing vs. center to
center. I have not yet put in Wheeler
for "helical or vertical" coils yet. I'll probably upload this latest
version tonight. Anyway, JavaTC showed
15.6 turns. Something to note about our programs is the toroid capacitance.
Many programs have you input
this value and others (JavaTC for example) calculates it. In your case,
13.3pF. Note that when you actually
place the toroid on top of the coil, the capacitance value may drop some
with toroid height above the coil
and ground plane. Any drop in top load capacitance will increase the
secondary's resonant frequency. To make
up for this, the primary will need to be tapped in (less turns slightly).

So my personal view point is to wind about 17 turns and light it up. Find
the tap position from there and
report back once you get this puppy up and running.

Take care,
Bart A.