Xfrmr theory, was Re: I could cry......

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Guys,
     neither your's nor John Freau's reply seem to make any sense to me.
>From a physisist's conservation of energy point of view (perhaps incorrect,
but I'ld like to understand why) I see energy comming in as electricity,
being transformed into magnetic field energy, being transformed back into
electric energy in the output winding. The maximum magnetic field that can
be generated in the core (the saturation limit?) represents a limit on how
much energy can be transfered through this mechanism.

The statement below that "[core area] in principle has nothing to do with
the power handling capability of the transformer" flys in the face of
common sense (which is not always correct, so explain if not so) and it
flys in the face of the engineering data that says to select a core
cross section based on Volt*Amps of the coil.

-Peter Lawrence.