Re: JavaTC 7.05 Program (was Space winding question)

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi John,

First let me say thank you for taking some deeper looks into JavaTC. It
benefits me personally for coiling as
well as writing scripts for the program and it helps everyone out by making
JavaTC a better program.

Comments below,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> Bart -
>
> I just noted that your program is not using the Wheeler equation like the
> JHCTES program for the primary coil. This appears to be a problem because
> the two programs do not agree when helical coil primaries are calculated.
> Your JavaTC 7.06 program gives primary turns that are about 23% higher than
> the JHCTES Ver 3.2 program using the Wheeler equation..

Yes, you are correct. I'm using the Conical (sin & cosine) equations. The
reason was to accomodate the least
amount of input parameters for the user and to accomodate flat, cone, and
helical primary's. I have calc'd some
helicals between wheeler and conical equations but I didn't see a large
difference. Obviously, you did. I guess
this depends on the coil, but to make the program more accurate, maybe I
should change "back" to Wheeler for
helical primarys. Yep, I used Wheeler in the beginning. I know that there
are only a hand-full of helical
primary's this day and age due to many good reasons, but still, if someone
needs a helical design, it would be
good to use Wheeler.

>Also, the c/c spacing is not correct. With an input spacing of .5 the
actual calculated spacing is >12.68/17.4
= .73 c/c spacing. This also affects the inductance.

Yes, c-c spacing can make a difference. I'll have to check that. I remember
finding a c-c spacing problem in my
Excel version of JavaTC during the measurements for Pauls excellent ACMI
program. It makes sense the error
flowed into JavaTC since it is based off my Excel program. Funny, I've
never released that to coilers (well, a
couple early versions). Excel is so much easier to program. I use Visual
Basic in Excel for my program, but
there can be problems with cell references if a user modified things. Thus,
I kept it to myself for years and
eventually changed it over to conical equations to match JavaTC, but I have
the previous versions for
reference.

> The Java program is using the Conical Primary Equations (CPE) with sin/cos
> functions. The CPE is also used for finding the inductance of inverted
> conical primary coils. When I researched CPE a couple years ago I found that
> they did not work because they gave inductances that were too high. It
> appears that the actual inductance varies only about 1% for inverted cone
> primaries from 0 to 30 degrees. I decided that for the JHCTES program the
> Wheeler equation for spiral primaries was close enough for 0 to 30 degree
> primaries giving an accuracy of about (+/-) 2 percent. The JHCTES uses the
> Wheeler helical coil equation for both the helical coil primary and the
> secondary coil.

Makes perfect sense. I'll look into this. I see a v7.07 on it's way.

Thanks for all your input John,
Bart A.