Re: questions

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Back in the dark ages, induction coils were used to feed Tesla Coils the way
> NSTs are now.  It's a good way to run a TC from a car battery. Check out the
> info on
> <http://freeweb.pdq-dot-net/headstrong/ind1.htm>  He covers step-by-step
> instructions for reproducing early 1900's induction coils, Tesla coils,
> etc.etc.
>
> Matt D.

	Building such a coil would have to be a labor of love!  I've often
contemplated it, but after reading several old books on "Induction Coil"
construction gave decided it "ain't worth the bother".  GMHE coils can
be made to give decent sparks for display purposes, and various "hot"
ignition coils will charge a primary capacitor.  One of those with a
transistorized drive would work well enough for driving a small coil and
take an awful lot less time to acquire!  I have used such an arrangement
to power the primary of a very small coil which gave 4" streamers to a
screwdriver (didn't really "break out" on its own, but produced a
beautiful corona display in the dark).

Ed