Re: Ebay deals

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/17/01 10:17:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Matt Segal by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> segal3-at-linkline-dot-com>
>
> Can you explain how they would work for TC work? For some high current
> switching they might work, but to act as a spark gap, you'd have to set up a
> circuit that monitors the cap voltage and when it reaches a certain value,
> sets off the vacuum relay. And then again, it's only 100A, so it'd break
> pretty quick.
>
> ~Matt Segal
> Email - segal3-at-linkline-dot-com
> Webpage - http://www.carbonOS-dot-com

Hi Matt S.
I think you'll find that the 100Amp rating is average, not instantaneous
(transient) current, which can be a couple orders of magnitude higher if the
time is short enough. It does seem like a unique but cumbersome spark gap. I
checked out the high-bidders profile last night. He's a professional
physicist/engineer with foundation money behind him. This auction could get
very expensive.
Matt D.