RE: Geek Gap Mark-1

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>
>
>The only time I have seen something like this are the following conditions
>
>One leg of the NST had flown the coop.

Nope.

>The cap was too large.

Nope.

>Something was draining the charge out of the cap, perhaps bad bleeder
>resister(s).

Nope, but you're close.

>Perhaps there are too many windings and the inductance is limiting the
>current flow. - this one is a wild guess.

Nope.

>Something is wrong with the gap itself. I've tried different kinds of
>experimental gaps and found that some of them produced a grieviously low
>bang rate.

Nope.

>snip
>
>It's firing at about 20 Hz (slow
>enough that you can discern the individual bangs
>
>snip

The problem was I had WAY too much cap in the circuit. I pulled 2 of the 6
strings and the cap sings as it's stuffing 46.5" arcs through the toroid to
a grounded rod (that's todays' measurement).

Here's a scribbled note from a couple days ago I picked up off the floor.

"6 strings
per cap 2kVDC
.1uF
9 caps per string
4 strings
tapped turn 7
4"X30" topload
breakout, 44" sparks to grounded rod"

kinda says it all :)

My sec is 6"X39" 22AWG closeound, what the resonant freq?

Have Fun!

Duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek