Re: PTs

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 1:24 AM
Subject: PTs

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> I have several PT's 2 rated at 14.4kV at 1kVA with a 120 primary and a
whole
> truckload of 2400VAC-120VAC 500VA (or are they 1K...hmmm Mark? you
> remember?) and I want to test them to see if they work.

Truckload eh? Maybe you might consider unloading two on a poor kid who blew
up his MOTs with a direct strike from half a MV?

> What should they read on an ohm meter?
>
> I got an MOT and clipped off the 2 wires for the filament then connected
the
> sec lead around itself, still connected to the core.
> I connected the primary leads in series with the 14KV PT and
got......squat.
> The voltage was discusting, I had to TOUCH the wires to get ANYTHING and I
> coulldn't draw ANY kind of an arc. It looked like getting about 100V at
> best.

Sounds shorted.

> Why?
>
> In the past I have connected an MOT directly to the wall as long as I
didn't
> draw an arc, nothing happened. Pull an arc, couple seconds later, tip the
> breaker. Tried connecting the big PT straight to mains and 2 seconds after
> plugging it in, BEFORE I drew an arc, it tripped the breaker.

Yep. Its shorted. Of course I could be wrong (its happened once or twice
:-). Make double sure that your ballast MOT is indeed shorted out on the
secondary side. Maybe even try another ballast. Check the voltage by
applying 120 to the HV side of it and measure the output on the LV. You
should get a reading of about 1 volt if all is well.

Jason Johnson