Re: HV, oil and air

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Ronn

Can you describe the process of converting your 15/60 to 14/300
You probably put out the core shunt and rewind it. What wire size
( AGW ) do you use for primary and secondary, is it center tap or not.

Tx

Luc Benard

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Duke, Ronn (CCI-San Diego CCC) by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Ron.Duke-at-cox-dot-com>

> Chris,
> Air in transformer windings is not quite as critical as in a capacitor.
> There are usually only a few hundred volts difference between layers of
> windings as opposed to a cap, which would have many thousands of volts
> difference between the plates. The coating on the magnet wire will withstand
> several hundred volts by itself. Transformers are usually wound with some
> sort of treated paper in between layers that increases the voltage standoff.
> Transformer builders will usually vacuum down a transformer 2 or 3 times for
> 18 hours to make sure that the air is out and the oil is in between the
> layers. The paper helps this along by letting the oil soak in between the
> windings. If the transformer you have came out of an oil bath, than it is
> probably already saturated and you wont have a problem. If not, put it in
> your custom made housing and cover the core completely with oil. Let it sit
> for a week or so to let the oil soak in. You will probably notice the oil
> level go down some, just watch it and top it off when needed. I recently
> rewound a NST and put it in a modified 30 cal. ammo box. I used Kraft paper
> in between layers. After adding the oil, over two weeks time, it absorbed
> about 1 pint worth of oil. ( It was a 15/60 NST, it's now a 14/300  SNT)
>
> Keep on Coilin'
>
> Sparky

snip