Sync gap phase control

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

I finally got my sync gap phase control set-up working last night.  I tried a
couple of LEDs running off a variac (from the 60 hz line of course) to see if
I could check or measure the phase control in operation.  Hoping to use the
LEDs as a 60 hz strobe.  Turning off the room lights and watching the rotary
gap running under the light of the LEDs did not work.  They provided enough
light but did seem to provide any strobe effect at all.

So, I removed the static gap from my 3.0" coil and installed the sync rotary.
 The phase control circuit works great.  I found two spots, at each end of
the variac, where it ran smooth and the safety gaps quit firing.  One seemed
to be better than the other.  Now I am looking forward to installing this on
the larger coil.

Nice design John Freau.

Ed Sonderman