RE: Little Q

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Sietze

You need a high voltage transformer to supply a Tesla coil. A welding
transformer is used to limit the current to a high voltage transformer which
is not current limited. For your first Tesla coil, get a 12,000 or 15,000
volt neon sign transformer. NST's are current limited. Save your welding
transformer for your later coiling years. Read about Tesla coils at
www.home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/index.html. Go to www.ebay-dot-com to find a
NST. Beware that Tesla coiling is a dangerous hobby if you do not think
about safety at ALL times.

Godfrey Loudner