Re: disk capacitors any good ?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<biomed-at-miseri.winnipeg.mb.ca>

> Hello coilers!   Help!
>
> I need some advice from you more experienced builders.
>
> I have got my hands on a bunch(16)  of free high voltage (30kv) capacitors.
> They are from a power supply of an x-ray generator immersed in oil and in a
> large metal box.  All 16 of them are soldered to a cocroft walton (I think
> thats how it's spelled) voltage multiplier board.   They are 1 inch round
> and 3/8 inch thick with the leads comming out from each side.
>
> The labeling is  152M
>           TDK
>
> 1.5 nF  * 16 caps =  24nF        if all paralleled             and I can
> remove  any number for smaller values
>
> Question:   would these BIG disk caps be any good for a neon sign tesla
> coil.        I hope they are but what do you think!.
>
> also there are 20 diodes  all hv on the same board,  2 stepup transformers,
> 4 - 200 Mohm resistors and other stuff, cool hey!
>
> Shaun Epp
> Winnipeg, Manitoba
> Canada

	You didn't mention the lead arrangement for those capacitors.  If they
are threaded holes and/or studs, they should work just fine.  If they
are wire leads they still might work OK because of the large number in
parallel.

Ed