RE: Copper tubing

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Antonio

I still think that the quantum mechanics of electron flow in metals can
reveal characteristics which cannot be explained by the use of classical
electromagnetic theory. Beside the flow of high frequency currents in
conductors, I also feel that a proper explanation of the dynamics of an arc
at the spark gap can benefit from the use of quantum mechanics. Consider the
current density of the emission from a pure metal surface. Classical
electromagnetic theory could not lead to a useful formula for the current
density. Engineers used an empirical formula in the case of mercury pool arc
rectifiers. Finally the theoretical physicist Fowler applied quantum
mechanics to produce the proper formula for the current density. I am a
mathematician with some knowledge of how to use quantum mechanics, but I
just don't have the background in physics to go ahead and apply quantum
theory to high frequency currents and the spark gap arc.

Godfrey Loudner