Re: 2nd Coil FIrst Light???

In a message dated 4/12/01 10:46:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "raven0075 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> raven0075-at-home-dot-com>
>
>  Running a 15kva 60ma NST.
>  Primary 13 turns 1/4" copper tube with 3/4" spacing.
>  Using 10 awg wire to tap primary.
>  Secondary 8.5, 22awg with 933 + turns for 23".
>  Caps MMC 3 parallel strings of.056uf 1600V metal Polypro, x12 each per
> string
>  for a total of 19,200volts.
>  Toroid 14" diameter X 4" high.
>  Using a static spark gap blown by my 3.0 horse shop vac.
>
>  I was able to get 12" solid 1/4 to 1/2 thick streamer to a ground post
once
>  tuned it.
>
>  I am kinda disappointed thought it would do 2 to 3 feet.

Brian,

Yes, the sparks from your coil should be longer than 12".  I assume
the spacing of your main gap and safety gap is rather narrow?  In
any case, it would seem that something is not quite right.

>  Do I need more power?? or a bigger toroid.  I should be able to get 2 to 3
> feet
>  out of the coil that size.

The spark length is determined by the power input mostly, not the
coil's physical size.  The physical size just determines how much
power can be withstood without burning up or breaking down.

>  If I put 2 15kv NST's in parallel will this make much of a difference??
>
>  Or do you need a pole transformer to get this performance.

You certainly don't need a pole transformer to get 3 foot sparks.
See my TT-42 TC which gives 42" sparks from a 12/30 NST, at
my website at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Click on spark gap TC's

John Freau