RE: Copper tubing

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi

The high frequency current does not travel on the inside surface of the
pipe. The situation is more complicated than just saying that the current
travels on the outside surface of the pipe. The high frequency current will
travel at the surface of a good conductor, but it makes plunges deeper in to
the conductor at regular intervals. Think of how a whale swins. The actual
path of a high frequency current in a conductor is a problem in quantum
mechanics. But I don't think that such fine detail can have any major effect
upon what Tesla coilers do. It is understood for the most part how a Tesla
coil works, but a detailed mathematical understanding is not available yet.
In any good model of a tesla coil, one encounters severe mathematical
difficulties, such as very high order differential equations and terrible
multiple integrals which involve the theory of elliptic functions. And these
are only a few of the mathematical dilemmas.

Godfrey Loudner