Re:REAL CAPACITOR (where can i buy one?)

Original poster: "ebyng by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ebyng-at-netlimit-dot-com>

ok, here we go....

MMC's, in your terms "do not suck".
Properly tuned, they work just as well as "normal" single body caps.

Having loads of cash is only part of the equation here, there are other
considerations as well
1:  Do you have a flatbed truck and a forklift???  Most of the larger (+/-
50Kv) Mallory brand caps run in excess of 100+ Lbs.  Shipping will kill
you, straight out, and moving it will have to be on a hand truck, minimum!
Some of the older GE NOS Mil stuff that youll find will last forever, but
weigh in at +250Lbs (I have one.. :-))

2:  MMC cap systems are modular, large singles are NOT.  Blow a smaller MMC
string, and the rest are still good.  Blow a Single GE cap, and you've got
a 300lb paperweight.

3:  Small MMC's go "bang" if you blow one, and shower you with tiny bits of
tinfoil.  Large single caps go "KaBANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and insert 1"
pieces of oil covered shrapnel into your frail pink body when they fail.
It's like hitting a "dumbell" style bomb with a ballpeen hammer in your
bare hand..........

If your bent on having a single body cap, though,  here's a couple of
things to try..

1: EBay, the scroungers friend.  I personally know of, at this point....

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1226868439

and..

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1226870337

2:  www.cornell-dubilier-dot-com  They'll build you a nice cap, custom,  but
for a price.

You might also want to check out Mallory Capacitors, and Maxwell.
They make some D-at-#$ big caps....

Best of luck, and dont be biased against MMC's!!
Erik

"Build a reactor in your house, help stop the energy crunch!"