RE: ??Where to get a POLE Transformer??

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi

My opinions about the superiority of copper windings in a pole pig are based
upon a telephone conversation I had with an outfit that repaires pole pigs.
A couple of years ago I inquired about purchasing a 10KVA pole pig that was
rewound to produce 40KV. I was interested in making a hugh Jacob's ladder.
The cost was too high, and I backed out. I now use X-ray transformers for my
big Jacob's ladders. I was told that they did all their rewindings using
copper wire. They explained that the windings experience strong mechanical
forces during operation, and that these forces are especially strong during
a short circuit. The wire in an aluminum wound high voltage coil tended to
come loose and break. A copper wound high voltage coil was less likely to
have these difficulties, and would give longer service. I am not an expert
in the engineering aspects of designing pole pigs, and perhaps my use of the
word "crap"  was too strong. I cannot remember the name of the company I
contacted, but I was a southern state. Perhaps it is interesting that T&R
Electric (www.t-r-dot-com) states that they do all their rewinding using copper
wire.

Thanks, Godfrey Loudner