Re: replacement toroid arrived, more

In a message dated 4/6/01 3:05:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> 2. The gap seems to work well as long as the streamers are allowed to hit
>     my grounded ladder, but as soon as I let the streamers go just into the
>     air, the gap over heats and performance quickly dwindles.  Why again
>     do the 'gap losses' increase when there is NO solid streamers to ground?
>
>  happy coiling,
>  bob in Austin

Bob,

This happens because the gap stays *lit* for a longer time when
the streamers don't hit a ground, and more losses (heat) occurs
in the gap.  You need air blowing on the gaps if you don't already
have it set up that way.

John