Re: SRSG phasing part 2

In a message dated 4/6/01 3:00:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Scot, all,

It is absolutely essential that you select the proper value of capacitor
which gives only a small resonant rise across the motor.  You wan't
maybe a 5 to 10 volt rise or less.  It's even OK with no rise at all, if
the motor stays locked throughout the variac's range, or most of
the range.   Your capacitor value is too large.  Try something half
the size, and go from there, using trial and error selection until
you get the proper safe amount of reso-rise.     Oh, no motor is in
the circuit !!!!!   The motor *has to be* in the circuit to dampen the
resonant rise  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Why run it without the motor?  !!!!   I
guess
you didn't have the protective fuse in place or it probably would have
blown and stopped the dangerous reso-rise.

John Freau