Re: Tesla Coil Blunders

In a message dated 4/6/01 3:05:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> For the above to have any significance the following question must be
>  answered. Does the resonant frequency reduce when the TC is operational
>  compared to the low power signal generator measurements?  If it does how
>  does it affect the R of the resonant frquency equation? These are difficult
>  tests to make with resonable precision (+/- 1%?) and maybe standard test
>  methods should be set up so the test results are more coordinated. In the
>  past the few tests of this type that have been made have given conflicting
>  results.
>
>  John Couture

John,

Well for one thing, the streamers have capacitance too, so this lowers
the frequency.  I guess this accounts for 99% of the frequency
lowering effect, rather than the resistance.  You can easily figure
this out, by seeing how much more the primary has to be tapped
*out* (more L) as the streamers get longer.  The shift in frequency
can be back-calc'd.

John Freau