replacement toroid arrived, more

Original poster: "Bob Thaden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <robert.thaden-at-amd-dot-com>

I've been trying to post this for a week+ but my mail is being rejected
by the list host.. I've figured out how to fool it now, I hope.
Thanks Terry and Chip for your help.

I just wanted to say the replacement toroid arrived safely in a super
double padded box, in perfect shape.  I love it.  Thanks to the originator
of the deal.

The weather broke (though still very humid) long enough yesterday to fire
my 'new' 8.5".  I've got .0425 uF, a simple airblast static gap, about 20-25
amps at 220v thru a pig.  Still getting only about 6' sparks.  The caps
are 2x .025 CP (from the long ago purchase) and 4 of the small .03/30kv
Maxwells that many of us have picked up via the list.  These are run in
series-parallel (.025 || .03 || .03 in series with .025 || .03 || .03),
so each parallel group is only seeing 7.2kvac.  I have run the CP caps
in parallel (14.4kv) and they haven't blown yet, but I'm worried about
the small maxwells at 14.4kv.  Do you think they're good for it?

One thing interesting - the static gap is two series heavy copper fittings.
1. This works much better than my 7-series gap by far... no matter what
   the total spacing is for either.
2. The gap seems to work well as long as the streamers are allowed to hit
   my grounded ladder, but as soon as I let the streamers go just into the
   air, the gap over heats and performance quickly dwindles.  Why again
   do the 'gap losses' increase when there is NO solid streamers to ground?

happy coiling,
bob in Austin

--XAA09298.986530135/amdext2.amd-dot-com--