Re: Saturation/the real meaning?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Harvey,

You've got it exactly right - once we begin to saturate the magnetic
permeability significantly declines, becoming perhaps 1/1000 of that prior
to saturation. So once we've reached sufficient current flow to saturate
the core, there will be a marked decrease in the effective inductance (from
that point on), and thus a much lower inductive reactance. You'll you see a
sudden increase in current flow with any further increase in applied
voltage as the effective inductance begins to act more and more like that
of a air core coil.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> I see numerous posts where it is mandated that when a
> ballast method is being used to control the amperage
> input to a tesla coil, that if the inductor is
> saturated this will cause its amperage consumption to
> go way up. I can accept that fact. But I cannot accept
> the numerous quotes I have seen where it is
> additionally stated that at saturation the inductance
> or impedance goes to zero, which is the cause for the
> large amperages. Perhaps I have misread the context or
> meaning of that statement.

<SNIP>