Re: Conductive paint?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> $34/roll for the 1" wide stuff (Cu tape)...
>
> There are two varieties of the stuff, embossed and not.  The non-embossed
> definitely has a conductive adhesive. The embossed kind (with the diamond
> crosshatch) might have insulating adhesive, being designed to be be
> "burnished" onto the target system.
>
> Surplus, the stuff turns up fairly often.  We throw out rolls at JPL when
> they get past a certain age, or when the surface starts to tarnish.  Sadly,
> dumpster diving is verboten for employees (some scandal in days gone by
> where things like oscilloscopes and other pricey test gear were "scrapped",
> then retrieved.), however, the fact that we do it means that other large
> consumers of the stuff probably also throw it away.  Check those aerospace
> mfrs...

1. Tarnished tape works just fine, and can be cleaned with chemical
copper cleaner or steel wool to improve its appearance.

2. The bottom of a stainless steel table spoon makes a great burnisher.

3. I've heard many tales about JPL, dumpsters, etc.!

Ed