Re: Modification to induction motor for Synchronos operation

In a message dated 4/3/01 3:47:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> 4. I understand that European motors such as mine tend to have rotors with
>  smaller radii (mine has a radius of 28.6mm (1.125") than U. S. motors of
>  equivalent HP. I was wondering whether the U. N. O. formula will still be
>  applicable as I don't understand why flats on the rotors make induction
> motors
>  synchronous.

Chuck,

it shouldn't matter what the radius of the rotor is, it's the proportion
that's important.  Flats make the motor synchronous because
the raised areas that remain after cutting the flats are "grabbed"
by the magnetic field, rather than slipping as in an normal
induction motor.  Of course the motor has less torque after
it's modified.

John Freau