RE: ballast core

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Malcolm

This is the way I want to build a ballast. I have been toying with the idea
for several months now, well at least since July. I have found several
formulas for the inductance of a multi layer solenoid, and using 1 as the
relative permeability, calculated a coil. Then I wound the coil that I made,
then I measured the coil, then recalculated. I can not get agreement between
the real coil and the calculated value. I am guessing that it is because I
am using THHN insulated wire for the test coil and the formulas must assume
magnet wire. Anyway I always get significantly less inductance as measured
than as calculated.

Help!

later

deano