Re: ballast core

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
> On 1 Apr 01, at 14:54, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> > <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>
> >
> > No, I would not have the E from this core. I just
> have a large (4.5 x
> > 4.5 x 14") straight core. My understanding is that
> open ended cores do
> > not saturate easily.
The increase of inductance or impedance may also be
much lower than close looped transformer analogies.

I know of ballast inductors
> made of 300 turns of
> > wire around a form stuffed with 'I's from old NSTs
> I don't think I
> > would have to make this a multi-layer winding..
> I'm pretty sure I have
> > enough length to do it in one shot, but I haven't
> actually checked it
> > yet. I'm still in the "can I do this without
> wasting money" stage :)
> >
> > Chris W
>
> Why 300 turns? My approach would be to build an
> air-cored inductor to
> meet the minimum inductance requirements of my
> system in such a way
> as to allow the core to be slid in to boost
> inductance when required.
>
> Malcolm

I have recently compared the air core 57 henries
inductance from 80 lb.essex 23 gauge coils, to that
with insertion of strontium ferrite,(unmagnetised
ceramic 8)in the majority of the core area. This only
increased the inductance to 73.5 Henry. The greater
inductances suspected by insertion of a ferromagnetic
core do not seeem great with a single core area of a
single coil interior volume. This still leaves quite a
bit of leakage for the magnetic loops that must still
take an air path around the coil.

The concept of a core that could be allowed to vary
into its distance into the coil could also contain a
kind of Hans Coler tuning idea. I am working on
exploring this. These large inductances, coupled to
the higher frequencies of alternators can make a
situation where the the capacities needed for the
coils to series resonate to could actually be
constructed as a single axial like capacity using a
dielectric material, and also embodied an assembly to
have the freedom to axially rotate, and also contain
contain a low reluctance material such as strontium
ferrite (ceramic 8)which then would be used by both
electric and magnetic fields simultaneously. I have
worked out the dimensional sizings for a 360 hz
application where that cylindrical capacity will
actually fit inside the coil. Sr Fe dielectric
constant has been measured at 24 which is what makes
the calculations possible for a 5 inch interior
diameter L volume. To secure the proper reactions of
the L and C quantities of resonances orthogonally
reacted in space, 90 degree phased inputs are used so
that each phases energy in simultaneous timings can
react as a E X B reaction by the proper interphasal
connections. The C quantities can be constructed so
that that when outside the coils the  capacity is too
small for the 360 hz resonance. As the cores slide
into the coils on tracks, this in turn increases those
coil's inductance to such a degree that the capacity
needed for resonance on the cylindrical C value
becomes within the needed values. Of course the
sensible thing would be just to start with the correct
values to begin with! HDN

=====
Binary Resonant System  http://members3.boardhost-dot-com/teslafy/