Re: New Member

hello hans,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Hans Scholze" <hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>
>
> Hello everyone,
>     A little about myself: I'm 17, lived in Kodiak, AK for most of my life,

kodiak, nice place, i've set some halibut skates out there in my day, good
fishing.

> and
> have an obsession with electronics, computers, R/C, etc...  Also, I've never
> used a list server before so if I do something wrong, let me know.  I
have read
> through much of the Tesla2 archives and learned enough about coiling to build
> my first TC.  It was pieced together for next to nothing.  The specs are:
>
> 10,000v 10mA OBIT
> 15 turn 12 AWG primary
> salt water caps of various sizes that I add and remove to help tuning
> 16" x 2" primary w/26 AWG
> top load: 4' brass-plated hollow steel ball from the top of a flag pole.
> all neatly and sturdily mounted with duct tape and hot glue in a cardboard
> apple box :-)
>
> When it is in good tune, I can get 6" sparks into air.
> I am planning a second coil which I will construct with care and plan to put
> some money into.  I used Wintesla (sorry, it is unregistered - I plan on
doing
> that any time now)

i would like too register my version also (down loaded in "98")can't get a
response
from Mr. coppersmith, if you get it registered let me know off list, so i
can do
the same?

> to help design a medium sized coil:
>
> 3 or 4 OBITs in parallel (NSTs are difficult to come by because Kodiak is an
> island with 10,000 people, ~4 neon signs, and no sign shop;

my brother gets to kodiak sometimes, engineer for the state, also owns alaska
foundation technology inc., i might be able to get a nst too you?

> OBITs, on the other
> hand, are plentiful as nearly everyone heats their home with oil.)
> 15 turn primary of 1/4 Cu tubing supported on HDPE cutting boards
> secondary: ~1000 ft. of 24 awg wire on 4" HDPE drain pipe; aiming for winding
> length of 20-24"
> cap: probably stacked poly in oil,

take a look at my cup cap, cheap and easy, with no messy problems in
construction.
i've built my share of flat platers, don't go there.

> Wintesla recommends 0.008uF

i would shoot for .012uf or so.

> spark gap: not sure yet, maybe RQ style

rq, excellent choice for starts

> top load: I have welding in school, so I was thinking of taking two stainless
> bunt(?) cake pans (think half a donut mold) and setting up a jig to cut
of the
> lips then TIG welding them together into a torrid.

will be beautiful

>  If that doesn't work out, I
> have some aluminum dryer duct.

good alternative

> I am somewhat confused by how to determine what cap size to use.  In
Wintesla,
> the trans/cap match page recommends 0.008uF for a 10000vac 30mA 60Hz
> transformer.  The primary page calculates my primary (15t 1/4" Cu on 1/2"
> centers 6"ID 20"OD 30deg inverse cone) inductance to be 0.0775mH and the
> secondary resonant freq. to be 202kHz and also recommends 0.008uF.

i'll let others reply here

> Does all this make sense? I have not been coiling long enough to have a "gut
> instinct" to tell me whether it will work.

should work fine in my eyes, but i would go larger on the cap? others may
not agree
but most may?

> Thanks for any recommendations you
> can provide.
>
> P.S. The nitro truck I ordered

fun fun fun," never let your learning get in the way of your education"