RE: HV probe ???

A transformer either works or it doesn't (although sometimes just half of an
NST works). I wouldn't get hung up trying to measure output with a
voltmeter.  Just power it up and see if you get a nice juicy arc between the
output leads, and from each lead to the case.

However, I suggest you shop around.  $35 is pretty steep for a used OBIT, I
think a reasonable guy would give you a part of his pile for free.

I you REALLY want to measure the transformer ratio, put 120VAC across the
two HV leads (bearing in mine that the case is tied to the midpoint and is
now "hot"), and measure the voltage on the LV leads.  The step-up ratio is
the inverse of the step-down ratio.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA