Re: blown sync motors

In a message dated 9/7/00 12:07:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>  Hi Sundog,
>
>   If your running an LTR cap with safety gaps.  I would think you are doing
>  everything right and the NST will not blow.
>
>   I keep hearing of occasional cooked sync motors.  What cooked your motor?
>  I would think the motor would be fairly blowup proof.  Do we need to think
>  up some things to protect motors too??
>
>  Cheers,
>
>   Terry

Terry, all,

One thing that can cook the motors quickly perhaps is if the
case of the motor is not grounded.  Then an arc from the coil
or from the gap may strike the motor and find it's way through
the insulation of the winding of the motor.  I remember
someone on the list said that a streamer went through a vent
hole in the motor and hit the wires and ruined the motor.  A
metal shield placed some distance above the motor should
prevent that, but still allow cooling air to flow through the motor.
Either that, or place the motor in such a position that the streamers
cannot hit the motor.

John Freau