Re: unwanted breakout

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>
>
>   Hi all,
>
>   I've been wanting to see the "single streamer" phenomenon using a
> spherical topload (thanks Dave!), but here's the problem.
>
>   I'm running a 3" diameter metal sphere on a 2" PVC form.  ~1000 turns of
> 32ga wire.  A 9/60 with 12.9nf.  Sync gap -at-240bps.  Once tuned, it runs
> beautiful, tons of streamers, but a goodly chunk of them are coming off of
> the top turn of the secondary. :(  That's robbing a lot of power.   Would a
> toroid to help shield the top windings be possible and still get the
> discharge from the sphere?
>
>   Also, how in the world do you secure a foil-wrapped basketball to the top
> of a secondary?  (don't want to try this on the 2" form, but maybe on the 4"
> coil.

                      Caio!

              Sundog

Hi Sundog...

since you are trying to "secure" a basket ball sized topload to a 2" dia form
I would try something like taking a plastic cup and popping a hole in the
bottom of it so the original
toroid support can go thru it  and then place the ball on top of the cup...
  not a perminent situation
but something better than trying to balance a ball on a bolt  ;)

Scot D