Re:Re: Unpotting and such

I unpotted my two 60ma. 15kv Allansons just as they stood.  I just
removed all the steel covers and screws and rivets and I had a block of
tar in front of me.  Be very careful around the hi-volt output terminals
when cutting away the steel case, the porcelains are very fragile.  Then
I went at the tar block with a 1" wood chisel and a hammer.  The tar just
chipped away in large chunks.  I had also in the past tried the heating
method by setting the tranny case on a electric heating element but the
tar got really stinky and it was a dangerous hot bubbling mess!  But it
did unpot well if you can get past the smell!  I think I will stick with
chipping at room temperature in the future, it has worked well for me.
Al.