RE: Vortex gap loss measurements

Gary:

Just a quick note. Tektronix has a utility on their
website for converting the data files to tif files I
believe. But it is free of charge. I used a similar
utility on a job I was working on.

Plasma too is a funny thing. It violates standard
'laws'  and I suspect with the burst of current across
the gap that an intense plasma is being generated
which doesn't behave like a true linear resistor(which
is what you already concluded). Somehow it ought to be
possible to create a mathematical model of the arc
resistance as a function of time which will predict
behavior under specific conditions. The arc resistance
would also be based on the change in current versus
(t) too as you pointed out. I think you are right
about the neon tubes but sign manufacturers typically
rate the required transformer current by job size
(primarily tube length). Nonetheless, once ignited gas
plasma resistance is far less than in STP state(as you
know). I worked with semiconductor etching RF
generators for years and know from experience that
constant ignition of the inert gas requires much less
power usage than stopping and starting. Incidently
these plasma chambers had a capacitive impedance and
we designed automated impedance matching networks to
minimize reflected power from the generator since the
gas impedance fluctuated with the addition of sio2
molecules being burned off silicon wafers (The
capacitance actually changed dynamically and needed
constant monitoring for max power transfer).

Dan

http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/vortexgap.htm