Re: More tube coil stuff (Carl Willis)...

An SCR can act as a switch to ground the cathode of the tube, thereby turning
the tube oscillator on.  They are the preferred device for doing this, from
what I have heard.  (In Staccato mode, the oscillator is pulsed every few
cycles to keep duty cycle low.)  What is needed is an SCR that can handle about
20 - 40 amps and 600 volts...that kind of fat.  (I don't understand why they
don't need to stand up to the full plate potential, since it seems to me that
the floating cathode would lose electrons to the plate until it was at the same
voltage.  Can someone explain?) This kind of part is usually a stud-mount
thing.  I tried to order one a while back from a surplus joint, but first they
wanted $17 for it and secondly they didn't have it in stock.  They're not hard
to come by, I just don't feel right spending more for the SCR than I did for my
tube (ten bucks).

>>>(One of these days I will get around to putting together a true staccato
>>>driver and I'll put a big fat SCR in the cathode lead for it.)

>I've got a big fat SCR....ideas?

Make a tube coil and use it for staccato.  Or, give it to me!!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org