Re: PFC's gooooood...

Hi Steve,

At 02:08 PM 10/7/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm not an expert on NSTs, but my understanding is that you can draw 15kV
>from your NST or 30mA, but not at the same time. When a neon tube strikes it
>needs a higher voltage to cause the initial ionisation of the gas (it has a
>high resistance) once it has fired it needs a lower voltage to keep working,
>the lower resistance of the conducting tube keeps the voltage down. The VA
>rating is the continuous rating, not the peak start rating.

You are correct.  NSTs put out either 15kV or 0mA or 0kV at 30mA.  The
relationship is linear in between the extremes.  However, when we go
putting resonant and LTR capacitors on them and play with timing, the
limits in the NST can be neutralized and we can draw their full VA rating
and more out of them.

Cheers,

	Terry