Re: Cap question.

In a message dated 10/6/2000 3:29:13 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  I just got an offer for two 2uf 8kv caps.
>  When i series them the capacitence will be way too
>  high for my TC, but what i want to know is can i put a
>  lower value/voltage cap, or 2 like .047uf/1.2kv in
>  series to drop the total capacitence to a more useable
>  level? (i need about .033uf)
>  thanks
>
>  --Tom
Tom,
    Unfortunately, the charge in each cap in series is equal. Since the
Charge, Q = CV,  you would have C1*V1 = C2*V2 =C3*V3.   You can see that if
C1 is .05uF and C2 and C3 both are 2uF(the small one rounded up to ease the
math), the voltage across C1 would be 40 times that of the C2 and C3.
Mike