A good tesla book

In message <4.1.20001004133821.00a86ef8-at-pop.dnvr.uswest-dot-net>, Tesla list
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes
>Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Herwig,
>
>       High voltage RF is attracted to insulators due to the dielectric
>effects.
>Even though the PVC is in insulator it can still easily attract arcs.  The
>current will be very low but that arc can then travel further from there or
>eventually breakdown the insulator (corona).  In general, it is best to let
>air do as much of the insulating as possible and then let the insulator do
>the rest.
>
>       Often, RF insulators have to have holes in them to lower the current
>flow
>to ground.  I have seen various insulating plastics attract RF arcs and
>burn up just from the current flowing into them due to charging of the
>dielectrics and how those charges flow to the space capacitance around the
>insulator.  It is a little hard to explain in text, but the effects are
>very real and not obvious unless you really get into how dielectrics behave
>in high voltage RF fields.  Air is the best insulator you have.  that's the
>best I can do to explain it here with a keyboard.  It really takes lots of
>diagrams and hand waving ;-))
>
>You should round off the top of the insulator too so there are no sharp
>edges.  The currents can really concentrate at sharp edges and dramatically
>increase the change of arcing.  All this is especially true for CW coils
>that can really heat insulators.
>
>Cheers,
>
>       Terry
>

>At 07:55 AM 1/6/1980 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>>Terry Fritz wrote to the list:
>>> Thus letting the air and distance do most of the insulating work.
>>
>>Terry,
>>
>>Because I'd like to understand the physical background of your
>>advice:
>>
>>The punch through voltage of insulators like PVC is much higher
>>than that of air. Wouldn't the screening effect be better at a place
>>where the E-field is stronger (closer to the secondary)?
>>
>>Could you please enlighten me?
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Herwig

Hi Herwig- sorry to pick on you !

I have only joined the list last week

About five years ago I tried to build a few small coils, but whatever I tried
They did not work !

This was after I read J. O'Neils book about Dr Tesla

I do understand about RF and electronics, coils, caps etc I am a fully licenced
HAM

I was wondering if you know if there is a good book on building small coils

I have been to all the sites on coils and there only seems to be part

discriptions, nobody seems to publish a finished coil that works

Regards and all the best

Mal head