Re: BIG DUMMY Accident (the lethal dangers of coiling)

In a message dated 10/5/00 11:14:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

All,

Newbies, if they're not already aware of it should consider that this
is a potentially very lethal hobby.  A rigid discipline should be used
for making sure that caps are discharged before touching them,
that the power is removed before touching circuits, that a safe
distance is maintained from streamers and powered equipment, etc.

Thinking about safety issues is not much of a fun subject, but it's
important for staying alive.  It's a good idea to re-assess one's
coiling arrangement from time to time to gauge its safety.  Rotary
gaps can be lethal too if electrodes come flying loose, etc.  Even
the power saws and other tools are very dangerous.  Newbies
should build small OBIT or NST coils to gain experience before
tackling larger projects.  Of course OBITS and NSTs are lethal too.

>From reading the posts, it seems that quite a few folks have
received potentially lethal shocks and are lucky to be alive.  This
alone proves that some folks are not being careful enough.  This
is indeed a real problem.

John Freau
----