Re: darn the formula torpedoes

In a message dated 10/3/00 11:47:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> john, this is interesting, could the added length be do to the magnetic
field
>  coupling into the windings of the extra coil when you placed it onto the
>  driver?
>  i actually see a couple reasons why a magnifier would be less efficient,
one
>  being the resistance of the transmission line connecting the driver to the
>  extra
>  coil? the other being that the extra coil is removed from the flux of the
>  primary, i know that in the corum papers that they state that the
>  inductance into
>  the secondary windings is not an issue, but i can't see how it wouldn't
be?
> if
>  the river is wound with say, 300 turns and the extra coil with say 800,
>  then the
>  flux only couples into the 300 turns, or am i missing something here? it
> only
>  stands to reason, at least in my eyes, that the more turns in the field,
>  the more
>  initial v? of coarse i can be wrong, i have much, much more reading to do.
>  respectfully,  marc
>  (snip)
>
>  >
>  > John Freau

Marc,

Yes, in that test, the inductance would increase a little, which could give
the one extra inch of spark.  Also as you said, the transmission line
represents a loss.  THis experiment was not controlled 100%, but
gives a general result that the magnifier and classic coil gave about
the same spark length.  If a magnifier was wildly more efficient as
has sometimes been claimed in the past.... this would have shown
up.  I don't think the primary's flux into the extra turns matters as
long as overall system coupling is kept the same, but the total
inductance is higher when the two coils are placed on over the other.

Other comparison tests that were done using both disruptive and
tube coils showed the same spark output for the magnifier as the
classic coil.  Yes, it is certainly possible that the magnifier will tend
to give shorter sparks than the classic coil in direct opposition to
what is general believed, but any difference is slight and hard to
measure.

John Freau