Re: optimal TC size and other things

In a message dated 10/3/00 7:53:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
>  My coil uses a 15/60 NST and I have run with both 4x23 #22 and 6x28 #22
>  secondaries.  I have not yet noted a performance difference (both ~60")
>  between the two secondaries, but I feel the longer 6" secondary will
>  ultimately permit better performance by virtue of its greater strike
>  distance from the primary.

Gary, Alex,

I didn't realize that you compared those two secondary sizes and
saw no difference in performance (or I forgot).  At first I thought
I saw no difference between my 4" and 6" secondaries either, but
now that I went back and re-tested, I'm seeing a difference for
whatever reason; 38" sparks vs. 42" sparks.  Very interesting.

To Alex:   Yes, a 4" by 13" toroid is probably too small for
a 15/120 NST.  It will work, and give a nice head of sparks, but
you won't get the max spark length possible, esp if the toroid is
not smooth.

John Freau