Re: I'm Sold on MMCs and RSGs! - Pics

Hi John F., Robin, Andy,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 11/27/00 1:15:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> > Andy,
> >
> >   I assume that you have cut four flats into the armature of your motor as
> >  it's a 1200
> >  rpm unit. You mentioned 6 electrodes on your disk and this is where your
> >  problem is.
>
> Robin,
>
> A 1200 rpm motor uses 6 flats to make it synchronous.
>
> John Freau

Yes, 1200 rpm using 6 flats = 120 bps, but the breaks are not divided evenly on
each half cycle.

Assume one half cycle. This indicates 3 breaks during that half cycle. Now try
to divide 3 breaks evenly along that half cycle (can't be done). The best you
could do is to manage 2 out of 3 as 1 will be near zero crossing. I would also
expect that a break through zero (not firing) could occur often and cause a
charging imbance from break to break.

A 1200 rpm, 6 flat RSG is only synchronous in that it can lock to the mains
cycles, but it should not to perform well as indicated above. I beleive the old
RSG program ROTJIT showed this as well.

Bart