Re: Helical top loads

In a message dated 11/24/00 8:44:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Michael Deegan" <mdeegan-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>
>  John,
>
>  Right now my coil is tapped at turn 14/15. With my large toroid i can only
> get
>  1" sparks. Is there any other way of tuning the coil? I was thinking maybe
> of
>  adding a EMMC and im still looking for a 15/60 NST.

Michael,

If I understand you correctly, you're tuned at the pri. outside turn and
using the small ball or helix at top of coil.  Yes, this explains why you get
1" sparks using the large toroid.  A large toroid lowers the resonant
frequency, and demands more primary turns to tune.  You probably
need to add about 2 or 3 more turns to the primary.  Or, you can
just add more tank capacitance instead to tune.  Most likely you're
not tuned when you use the large toroid.  Yes, you can add an
MMC cap in parallel with your existing caps, or replace your
existing caps with a larger MMC, or just add more saltwater caps,
etc.

John Freau